Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Reflection #1

Day Three Reflection: I applied for the Summer Academy because it fits right along with my curriculum that I currently teach to my seventh graders. I enjoy spending part of my summer learning new information that I can use in my teaching. I am excited to see what I can learn from scientists at ISU about Biorenewables. This Biorenewables curriculum will fit into my current seventh grade science curriculum very easily! I already have an environmental science unit that I teach. All of this information will fit perfectly into the unit I already share with my students. I love that it gives me more up-to-date information about current science topics that I can share with my students and colleagues. Throughout their school year, students are currently learning information that will assist them in becoming adults who are knowledgeable, life-long learners. This information is important for them to be familiar with because Biorenewables are part of the future. Students need to be aware of new advances in science and how those advances will affect our economy and their lives in other ways. The first couple days of my class were spent learning what Biorenewables are and how Iowa State University is researching information about the future of Biorenewables use. I also have learned about creating a case study assignment for my students that will help them build their critical thinking skills. Today I learned what Biochar is and how it is created. It will be something we will definitely hear about in the future. One of the best things about the academy is that I have made several friends in my colleagues who are also taking this class with whom I can collaborate on current and future topics.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on your new learnings (i.e. Biochar) and the future that BioRenewables have to benefit our environment. Having participated in one of these programs in the past, the colleagues are a HUGE benefit and resource to refer to in the future!! So glad you joined the Academy this summer!!

    ReplyDelete